Follow us

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Instagram Icon

Becoming a Member


  • What are the requirements for becoming a member?

    • Under the Constitution of the Qawalangin Tribe of Unalaska, Article IV outlining Membership Requirements, Basic Membership of the Qawalangin Tribe of Unalaska shall consist of all persons of Aleut descent whose names appear on the 1940 Census, the World War II Evacuee Roll and the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Roll.  To qualify to become a Tribal Member, you must be a lineal descendant of an enrolled Tribal Member and fill out the Enrollment Application.

  • How do you become a member of the Tribe?

    • In order to become the Qawalangin Tribe’s member, you need drop off or send us the documents listed below in the Application Package. If documents are dropped off at the Tribal Office, we can make color copies for you. If you mail your documents, we will send you back the originals. After an application is received, the Tribal Council then makes a decision on enrollment applications at every Council Monthly Meeting, according to their qualifications.

Application Package:

  1. Membership Application Form (Click here for form)

  2. Original birth certificate (Dropped off or mailed)

  3. Color copy of a BIA CIB card,

  4. Color copy of a photo ID

  5. Family tree


  • How much does it cost to fill out a membership application?

    • Membership applications are free. However, read below for information on tribal ID cards.

  • How do I request a Tribal ID Card?

    • Once accepted as a tribal member, if you would like a Tribal ID card fill out the Tribal Identification Card Request Form and drop it off, email, or mail it to our office along with a portrait picture with good resolution. Cost for Tribal ID is $10.00.

  • How can I pay for fees?

    • We can only collect cash, checks, or money orders. For checks, make it payable to Qawalangin Tribe.

  • Where do I find the membership application form and Tribal Identification Card Request Form?

    • You can find the membership application form and Tribal Identification Card Request Form here, or stop by our tribal office.

  • Where do I send my Application Package and/or Tribal ID Card request?

    • Completed application packages may be dropped off at the tribal office Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm (closed on some holidays.). Our office is located at: 1253 E. Broadway Unalaska, AK 99685. Applications/Forms can also be emailed to, or mailed to P.O. Box 334, Unalaska, AK 99685.

  • Does the Qawalangin Tribe accept dual membership?

    • No, the Qawalangin Tribe prohibits dual membership.